Nora L. Nock, PhD, PE
firstname.lastname@example.org | 216.368.5653 | School of Medicine, Rm. WG-82G
Ph.D., Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology
[Thesis: Development and Application of DNA Damage and DNA Repair
Capacity Indices to Prostate Cancer]
M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering
B.S., Civil Engineering
Link to CV
American Association for Cancer Research
American College of Sports Medicine
American Public Health Association
American Society of Professional Engineers
American Society of Civil Engineers
American Society of Human Genetics
American Society of Nutrition
Chi Epsilon: Civil Engineering Honor Society
Cleveland Engineering Society: Environmental Division
International Genetic Epidemiology Society
International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
The Obesity Society
2013-present: Design and Measurement (EPBI 465). This course focuses on common design and measurement approaches used in population health sciences research, building on introductions to these approaches provided in pre-requisite courses. This overview consists of understanding the preliminary considerations that go into selecting a qualitative, quantitative, or mixed methods research design, including understanding different philosophical worldviews, strategies of inquiry and methods and procedures for each. Students will develop in-depth knowledge of these approaches through readings, lectures, group discussions and project, class presentations, and hands-on applications.
2008-present: Obesity and Cancer: Transdisciplinary Views from Molecules to Health Policy (EPBI/MPHP 464). This course provides an overview of energy balance components (diet, physical activity, resting metabolic rate, dietary induced thermogenesis) and obesity, a consequence of long term positive energy balance, and relations with certain cancers. After presenting an overview of epidemiological evidence for the obesity epidemic, the cellular and molecular biology of energy metabolism is discussed. Emerging research on biologically plausible connections and epidemiological associations between obesity and various types of cancer (e.g., colon, breast) are presented; and, interventions targeted at decreasing obesity and improving quality of life in cancer patients are also discussed.
2008-present: Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology Seminar (EPBI 502). Students are exposed to a broad range of advanced topics related to the field of genetic and molecular epidemiology. The seminar includes student presentations of dissertation/thesis work and recent journal articles as well as presentations by invited speakers.
2005-2007: Epidemiology of Environmental Health (MPHP 429). Developed and instructed new course in Spring 2005 that presents key local and global issues in environmental health and epidemiology. This course provides students with an understanding of how genetic factors modify disease risk from environmental agents and how emerging exposure assessment (biomarkers, GPS-GIS) and statistical (PBTK/TD) methods will help improve protection of human health.
- Flocke, SA, Nock, NL, Fulton, S, Margevicius, S, Manne, S, Meropol, NJ, Daly, BJ. A National Study of Oncology Nurses Discussing Cancer Clinical Trials With Patients. West J Nurs Res 2019; : 193945919829145. PubMed PMID:30782111 .
- Owusu, C, Antognoli, E, Nock, N, Hergenroeder, P, Austin, K, Bennet, E, Berger, NA, Cerne, S, Foraker, K, Heine, K, Heyman, E, Moore, H, Petkac, J, Schluchter, M, Schmitz, KH, Whitson, A, Flocke, S. Perspective of older African-American and Non-Hispanic white breast cancer survivors from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds toward physical activity: A qualitative study. J Geriatr Oncol 2018; 9 (3): 235-242. PubMed PMID:29306608 PubMed Central PMC5936661.
- Nock, NL, Minnes, S, Alberts, JL. Neurobiology of substance use in adolescents and potential therapeutic effects of exercise for prevention and treatment of substance use disorders. Birth Defects Res 2017; 109 (20): 1711-1729. PubMed PMID:29251846 PubMed Central PMC5751741.
- Stein, CM, Morris, NJ, Hall, NB, Nock, NL. Structural Equation Modeling. Methods Mol. Biol. 2017; 1666 : 557-580. PubMed PMID:28980265 .
- May, CN, Nock, NL, Bentley, D, Demaree, HA. Acute aerobic exercise increases implicit approach motivation for dessert images. J Health Psychol 2018; 23 (6): 807-817. PubMed PMID:27402729 .
- Nock, NL, Ievers-Landis, CE, Dajani, R, Knight, D, Rigda, A, Narasimhan, S, Uli, N. Physical Activity Self-Efficacy and Fitness: Family Environment Relationship Correlates and Self-Esteem as a Mediator among Adolescents Who Are Overweight or Obese. Child Obes 2016; 12 (5): 360-7. PubMed PMID:27243476 .
- Markowitz, SD, Nock, NL, Schmit, SL, Stadler, ZK, Joseph, V, Zhang, L, Willis, JE, Scacheri, P, Veigl, M, Adams, MD, Raskin, L, Sullivan, JF, Stratton, K, Shia, J, Ellis, N, Rennert, HS, Manschreck, C, Li, L, Offit, K, Elston, RC, Rennert, G, Gruber, SB. A Germline Variant on Chromosome 4q31.1 Associates with Susceptibility to Developing Colon Cancer Metastasis. PLoS ONE 2016; 11 (1): e0146435. PubMed PMID:26751797 PubMed Central PMC4709047.
- Nock, NL, Owusu, C, Flocke, S, Krejci, SA, Kullman, EL, Austin, K, Bennett, B, Cerne, S, Harmon, C, Moore, H, Vargo, M, Hergenroeder, P, Malone, H, Rocco, M, Tracy, R, Lazarus, HM, Kirwan, JP, Heyman, E, Berger, NA. A Community-Based Exercise and Support Group Program Improves Quality of Life in African-American Breast Cancer Survivors: A Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis. Int J Sports Exerc Med ; 1 (3): . PubMed PMID:26640827 PubMed Central PMC4667740.
- Moore-Schiltz, L, Albert, JM, Singer, ME, Swain, J, Nock, NL. Dietary intake of calcium and magnesium and the metabolic syndrome in the National Health and Nutrition Examination (NHANES) 2001-2010 data. Br. J. Nutr. 2015; 114 (6): 924-35. PubMed PMID:26259506 .
- Thompson, CL, Owusu, C, Nock, NL, Li, L, Berger, NA. Race, age, and obesity disparities in adult physical activity levels in breast cancer patients and controls. Front Public Health 2014; 2 : 150. PubMed PMID:25285306 PubMed Central PMC4168674.