Catherine M. Stein, PhD
firstname.lastname@example.org | 216.368.5631 | Wolstein Research Building, 1316
Ph.D. Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve University. Cleveland, OH. 2004. Dissertation: Genetic and environmental influences on tuberculosis susceptibility.
Dr. Stein’s research focuses on complex genetic disorders. Her primary research focus is in the study of genetic and environmental susceptibility to tuberculosis. She is the Genetics Working Group Leader of the Tuberculosis Research Unit and co-PI of the Kawempe Community Health Study, a large household contact study of TB. She also conducts collaborative research in HIV, Rift Valley Fever Virus, and speech-sound disorder. In addition, she is interested in applying multivariate methods, particularly structural equation models, to the joint analysis of related traits, genes, and clinical covariates.
Ongoing Research Projects
Tuberculosis: Examining the influence of epidemiological risk factors, host genetics, microbial genetics, and host immunology on thd development of latent M. tuberculosis infection and active TB disease
Speech-sound disorder: Modeling the relationships of cognitive domains underlying speech-sound disorder, how these predict later outcomes in reading deficiency, and mapping genes underlying both these clinical traits and endophenotypes
Structural Equation Modeling in Family Data: We have released ‘strum’ software, an R package that implements a generalized framework to conduct SEM analyses in family data based on methodology developed by Dr. Nathan Morris
- Fluegge, K, Malone, LL, Nsereko, M, Okware, B, Wejse, C, Kisingo, H, Mupere, E, Boom, WH, Stein, CM. Impact of geographic distance on appraisal delay for active TB treatment seeking in Uganda: a network analysis of the Kawempe Community Health Cohort Study. BMC Public Health 2018; 18 (1): 798. PubMed PMID:29940918 PubMed Central PMC6019214.
- Simmons, JD, Stein, CM, Seshadri, C, Campo, M, Alter, G, Fortune, S, Schurr, E, Wallis, RS, Churchyard, G, Mayanja-Kizza, H, Boom, WH, Hawn, TR. Immunological mechanisms of human resistance to persistent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29895826 .
- Mekonnen, E, Bekele, E, Stein, CM. Novel polymorphisms in and associated with tuberculosis progression phenotypes in Ethiopian populations. Glob Health Epidemiol Genom 2018; 3 : e1. PubMed PMID:29868226 PubMed Central PMC5870410.
- Papp, AC, Azad, AK, Pietrzak, M, Williams, A, Handelman, SK, Igo, RP Jr, Stein, CM, Hartmann, K, Schlesinger, LS, Sadee, W. AmpliSeq transcriptome analysis of human alveolar and monocyte-derived macrophages over time in response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. PLoS ONE 2018; 13 (5): e0198221. PubMed PMID:29847580 PubMed Central PMC5976201.
- Stein, CM, Sausville, L, Wejse, C, Sobota, RS, Zetola, NM, Hill, PC, Boom, WH, Scott, WK, Sirugo, G, Williams, SM. Genomics of human pulmonary tuberculosis: from genes to pathways. Curr Genet Med Rep 2017; 5 (4): 149-166. PubMed PMID:29805915 PubMed Central PMC5965286.
- Stein, CM, Zalwango, S, Malone, LL, Thiel, B, Mupere, E, Nsereko, M, Okware, B, Kisingo, H, Lancioni, CL, Bark, CM, Whalen, CC, Joloba, ML, Boom, WH, Mayanja-Kizza, H. Resistance and Susceptibility to Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection and Disease in Tuberculosis Households in Kampala, Uganda. Am. J. Epidemiol. 2018; 187 (7): 1477-1489. PubMed PMID:29304247 PubMed Central PMC6031055.
- Martinez, L, Shen, Y, Handel, A, Chakraburty, S, Stein, CM, Malone, LL, Boom, WH, Quinn, FD, Joloba, ML, Whalen, CC, Zalwango, S. Effectiveness of WHO's pragmatic screening algorithm for child contacts of tuberculosis cases in resource-constrained settings: a prospective cohort study in Uganda. Lancet Respir Med 2018; 6 (4): 276-286. PubMed PMID:29273539 PubMed Central PMC5876110.
- Martinez, L, Handel, A, Shen, Y, Chakraburty, S, Quinn, FD, Stein, CM, Malone, LL, Zalwango, S, Whalen, CC. A Prospective Validation of a Clinical Algorithm to Detect Tuberculosis in Child Contacts. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2018; 197 (9): 1214-1216. PubMed PMID:29035095 PubMed Central PMC6019930.
- Grover, S, Del Greco M, F, Stein, CM, Ziegler, A. Mendelian Randomization. Methods Mol. Biol. 2017; 1666 : 581-628. PubMed PMID:28980266 .
- Stein, CM, Morris, NJ, Hall, NB, Nock, NL. Structural Equation Modeling. Methods Mol. Biol. 2017; 1666 : 557-580. PubMed PMID:28980265 .