Catherine M. Stein, PhD
firstname.lastname@example.org | 216.368.5631 | Wolstein Research Building, 1316
Ph.D. Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve University. Cleveland, OH. 2004. Dissertation: Genetic and environmental influences on tuberculosis susceptibility.
Dr. Stein’s research focuses on complex genetic disorders. Her primary research focus is in the study of genetic and environmental susceptibility to tuberculosis. She is the Genetics Working Group Leader of the Tuberculosis Research Unit and co-PI of the Kawempe Community Health Study, a large household contact study of TB. She also conducts collaborative research in HIV, Rift Valley Fever Virus, and speech-sound disorder. In addition, she is interested in applying multivariate methods, particularly structural equation models, to the joint analysis of related traits, genes, and clinical covariates.
Ongoing Research Projects
Tuberculosis: Examining the influence of epidemiological risk factors, host genetics, microbial genetics, and host immunology on thd development of latent M. tuberculosis infection and active TB disease
Speech-sound disorder: Modeling the relationships of cognitive domains underlying speech-sound disorder, how these predict later outcomes in reading deficiency, and mapping genes underlying both these clinical traits and endophenotypes
Rift Valley Fever Virus: Association studies to examine genes related to RVFV susceptibility, immune response underlying RVFV, and RVFV-associated retinitis
Structural Equation Modeling in Family Data: We have released ‘strum’ software, an R package that implements a generalized framework to conduct SEM analyses in family data based on methodology developed by Dr. Nathan Morris
- Sobota, RS, Stein, CM, Kodaman, N, Maro, I, Wieland-Alter, W, Igo, RP Jr, Magohe, A, Malone, LL, Chervenak, K, Hall, NB, Matee, M, Mayanja-Kizza, H, Joloba, M, Moore, JH, Scott, WK, Lahey, T, Boom, WH, von Reyn, CF, Williams, SM, Sirugo, G. A chromosome 5q31.1 locus associates with tuberculin skin test reactivity in HIV-positive individuals from tuberculosis hyper-endemic regions in east Africa. PLoS Genet. 2017; 13 (6): e1006710. PubMed PMID:28628665 .
- Seshadri, C, Sedaghat, N, Campo, M, Peterson, G, Wells, RD, Olson, GS, Sherman, DR, Stein, CM, Mayanja-Kizza, H, Shojaie, A, Boom, WH, Hawn, TR, Tuberculosis Research Unit (TBRU). Transcriptional networks are associated with resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. PLoS ONE 2017; 12 (4): e0175844. PubMed PMID:28414762 PubMed Central PMC5393882.
- Song, YE, Morris, NJ, Stein, CM. Structural equation modeling with latent variables for longitudinal blood pressure traits using general pedigrees. BMC Proc 2016; 10 (Suppl 7): 303-307. PubMed PMID:27980653 PubMed Central PMC5133482.
- Mehlotra, RK, Hall, NB, Willie, B, Stein, CM, Weinberg, A, Zimmerman, PA, Vernon, LT. Associations of Toll-Like Receptor and β-Defensin Polymorphisms with Measures of Periodontal Disease (PD) in HIV+ North American Adults: An Exploratory Study. PLoS ONE 2016; 11 (10): e0164075. PubMed PMID:27727278 PubMed Central PMC5058471.
- Adefurin, A, Darghosian, L, Okafor, C, Kawai, V, Li, C, Shah, A, Wei, WQ, Kurnik, D, Stein, CM. Alpha2A adrenergic receptor genetic variation contributes to hyperglycemia after myocardial infarction. Int. J. Cardiol. 2016; 215 : 482-6. PubMed PMID:27131769 PubMed Central PMC4879094.
- Lewis, BA, Patton, E, Freebairn, L, Tag, J, Iyengar, SK, Stein, CM, Taylor, HG. Psychosocial co-morbidities in adolescents and adults with histories of communication disorders. J Commun Disord ; 61 : 60-70. PubMed PMID:27032038 PubMed Central PMC4880534.
- Sobota, RS, Stein, CM, Kodaman, N, Scheinfeldt, LB, Maro, I, Wieland-Alter, W, Igo, RP Jr, Magohe, A, Malone, LL, Chervenak, K, Hall, NB, Modongo, C, Zetola, N, Matee, M, Joloba, M, Froment, A, Nyambo, TB, Moore, JH, Scott, WK, Lahey, T, Boom, WH, von Reyn, CF, Tishkoff, SA, Sirugo, G, Williams, SM. A Locus at 5q33.3 Confers Resistance to Tuberculosis in Highly Susceptible Individuals. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2016; 98 (3): 514-24. PubMed PMID:26942285 PubMed Central PMC4800052.
- Chheng, P, Nsereko, M, Malone, LL, Okware, B, Zalwango, S, Joloba, M, Boom, WH, Mupere, E, Stein, CM. Tuberculosis case finding in first-degree relative contacts not living with index tuberculosis cases in Kampala, Uganda. Clin Epidemiol 2015; 7 : 411-9. PubMed PMID:26508888 PubMed Central PMC4610802.
- Mehlotra, RK, Hall, NB, Bruse, SE, John, B, Blood Zikursh, MJ, Stein, CM, Siba, PM, Zimmerman, PA. CCR2, CCR5, and CXCL12 variation and HIV/AIDS in Papua New Guinea. Infect. Genet. Evol. 2015; 36 : 165-73. PubMed PMID:26397046 PubMed Central PMC4644711.
- Levine, DM, Dutta, NK, Eckels, J, Scanga, C, Stein, C, Mehra, S, Kaushal, D, Karakousis, PC, Salamon, H. A tuberculosis ontology for host systems biology. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 2015; 95 (5): 570-4. PubMed PMID:26190839 PubMed Central PMC4554888.