Dana C. Crawford, PhD
email@example.com | 216.368.5546 | Wolstein Research Building Rm. 2527
PhD, 2000, Emory University
BS, 1995, Vanderbilt University
Dr. Crawford’s laboratory accesses large-scale epidemiologic and clinical data in electronic health records to characterize common and rare genetic variants associated with human diseases. A particular interest is in identifying pleiotropy (when a single gene influences two or more seemingly unrelated physical traits) and environmental modifiers of genetic associations, including pharmacogenomics (the study of how genes affect a person’s response to drugs). She has published more than 160 peer-reviewed manuscripts.
Among her accomplishments was serving as principal investigator of the NIH’s Electronic Medical Records & Genomics (eMERGE) Network Coordinating Center and co-chair of the eMERGE Network’s Genomics Working Group. She also played a leadership role in the NIH’s Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) study. She is currently serving a three-year term as an elected member of the American Society of Human Genetics Board of Directors.
In addition to her primary research, Dr. Crawford promotes the cultivation of women and minorities in STEM education and research by organizing and participating in national and international workshops and educational lectures, that emphasize participation and perspectives or women and minorities. She is an advocate for diversity in research design and cohort recruitment, recognizing that perspectives and findings from diverse studies can unlock why people with diverse genetic, behavioral, and environmental backgrounds can have varied outcomes to interventions or treatments.
Her honors and awards include the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Faculty Diversity Award, Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science Distinguished Research Mentor Award, Kavli Frontiers of Science Fellow, Keystone Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology Fellow, NCMHD/NIH Health Disparities Research Scholar, and the ASHG C.W. Cotterman Award.
Before coming to CWRU, Dr. Crawford spent eight years as tenure-track faculty in the Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics and Investigator in the Center for Human Genetics Research at Vanderbilt University.
- Pendergrass, SA, Crawford, DC. Using Electronic Health Records To Generate Phenotypes For Research. Curr Protoc Hum Genet 2019; 100 (1): e80. PubMed PMID:30516347 PubMed Central PMC6318047.
- Restrepo, NA, Laper, SM, Farber-Eger, E, Crawford, DC. Local genetic ancestry in CDKN2B-AS1 is associated with primary open-angle glaucoma in an African American cohort extracted from de-identified electronic health records. BMC Med Genomics 2018; 11 (Suppl 3): 70. PubMed PMID:30255811 PubMed Central PMC6157155.
- Crawford, DC, Restrepo, NA, Diggins, KE, Farber-Eger, E, Wells, QS. Frequency and phenotype consequence of APOC3 rare variants in patients with very low triglyceride levels. BMC Med Genomics 2018; 11 (Suppl 3): 66. PubMed PMID:30255797 PubMed Central PMC6156840.
- El Rouby, N, McDonough, CW, Gong, Y, McClure, LA, Mitchell, BD, Horenstein, RB, Talbert, RL, Crawford, DC, eMERGE network, Gitzendanner, MA, Takahashi, A, Tanaka, T, Kubo, M, Pepine, CJ, Cooper-DeHoff, RM, Benavente, OR, Shuldiner, AR, Johnson, JA. Genome-wide association analysis of common genetic variants of resistant hypertension. Pharmacogenomics J. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30237584 .
- van Setten, J, Brody, JA, Jamshidi, Y, Swenson, BR, Butler, AM, Campbell, H, Del Greco, FM, Evans, DS, Gibson, Q, Gudbjartsson, DF, Kerr, KF, Krijthe, BP, Lyytikäinen, LP, Müller, C, Müller-Nurasyid, M, Nolte, IM, Padmanabhan, S, Ritchie, MD, Robino, A, Smith, AV, Steri, M, Tanaka, T, Teumer, A, Trompet, S, Ulivi, S, Verweij, N, Yin, X, Arnar, DO, Asselbergs, FW, Bader, JS, Barnard, J, Bis, J, Blankenberg, S, Boerwinkle, E, Bradford, Y, Buckley, BM, Chung, MK, Crawford, D, den Hoed, M, Denny, JC, Dominiczak, AF, Ehret, GB, Eijgelsheim, M, Ellinor, PT, Felix, SB, Franco, OH, Franke, L, Harris, TB, Holm, H, Ilaria, G, Iorio, A, Kähönen, M, Kolcic, I, Kors, JA, Lakatta, EG, Launer, LJ, Lin, H, Lin, HJ, Loos, RJF, Lubitz, SA, Macfarlane, PW, Magnani, JW, Leach, IM, Meitinger, T, Mitchell, BD, Munzel, T, Papanicolaou, GJ, Peters, A, Pfeufer, A, Pramstaller, PP, Raitakari, OT, Rotter, JI, Rudan, I, Samani, NJ, Schlessinger, D, Silva Aldana, CT, Sinner, MF, Smith, JD, Snieder, H, Soliman, EZ, Spector, TD, Stott, DJ, Strauch, K, Tarasov, KV, Thorsteinsdottir, U, Uitterlinden, AG, Van Wagoner, DR, Völker, U, Völzke, H, Waldenberger, M, Jan Westra, H, Wild, PS, Zeller, T, Alonso, A, Avery, CL, Bandinelli, S, Benjamin, EJ, Cucca, F, Dörr, M, Ferrucci, L, Gasparini, P, Gudnason, V, Hayward, C, Heckbert, SR, Hicks, AA, Jukema, JW, Kääb, S, Lehtimäki, T, Liu, Y, Munroe, PB, Parsa, A, Polasek, O, Psaty, BM, Roden, DM, Schnabel, RB, Sinagra, G, Stefansson, K, Stricker, BH, van der Harst, P, van Duijn, CM, Wilson, JF, Gharib, SA, de Bakker, PIW, Isaacs, A, Arking, DE, Sotoodehnia, N. PR interval genome-wide association meta-analysis identifies 50 loci associated with atrial and atrioventricular electrical activity. Nat Commun 2018; 9 (1): 2904. PubMed PMID:30046033 PubMed Central PMC6060178.
- Fernández-Rhodes, L, Malinowski, JR, Wang, Y, Tao, R, Pankratz, N, Jeff, JM, Yoneyama, S, Carty, CL, Setiawan, VW, Le Marchand, L, Haiman, C, Corbett, S, Demerath, E, Heiss, G, Gross, M, Buzkova, P, Crawford, DC, Hunt, SC, Rao, DC, Schwander, K, Chakravarti, A, Gottesman, O, Abul-Husn, NS, Bottinger, EP, Loos, RJF, Raffel, LJ, Yao, J, Guo, X, Bielinski, SJ, Rotter, JI, Vaidya, D, Chen, YI, Castañeda, SF, Daviglus, M, Kaplan, R, Talavera, GA, Ryckman, KK, Peters, U, Ambite, JL, Buyske, S, Hindorff, L, Kooperberg, C, Matise, T, Franceschini, N, North, KE. The genetic underpinnings of variation in ages at menarche and natural menopause among women from the multi-ethnic Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study: A trans-ethnic meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 2018; 13 (7): e0200486. PubMed PMID:30044860 PubMed Central PMC6059436.
- Smieszek, S, Mitchell, SL, Farber-Eger, EH, Veatch, OJ, Wheeler, NR, Goodloe, RJ, Wells, QS, Murdock, DG, Crawford, DC. Hi-MC: a novel method for high-throughput mitochondrial haplogroup classification. PeerJ 2018; 6 : e5149. PubMed PMID:29967758 PubMed Central PMC6022720.
- Cooke Bailey, JN, Crawford, DC, Goldenberg, A, Slaven, A, Pencak, J, Schachere, M, Bush, WS, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF. Willingness to Participate in a National Precision Medicine Cohort: Attitudes of Chronic Kidney Disease Patients at a Cleveland Public Hospital. J Pers Med 2018; 8 (3): . PubMed PMID:29949895 PubMed Central PMC6164471.
- Crawford, DC, Bailey, JNC, Miskimen, K, Miron, P, McCauley, JL, Sedor, JR, ƠToole, JF, Bush, WS. Somatic T-cell Receptor Diversity in a Chronic Kidney Disease PatientPopulation Linked to Electronic Health Records. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2018; 2017 : 63-71. PubMed PMID:29888042 PubMed Central PMC5961818.
- Kocarnik, JM, Richard, M, Graff, M, Haessler, J, Bien, S, Carlson, C, Carty, CL, Reiner, AP, Avery, CL, Ballantyne, CM, LaCroix, AZ, Assimes, TL, Barbalic, M, Pankratz, N, Tang, W, Tao, R, Chen, D, Talavera, GA, Daviglus, ML, Chirinos-Medina, DA, Pereira, R, Nishimura, K, Bužková, P, Best, LG, Ambite, JL, Cheng, I, Crawford, DC, Hindorff, LA, Fornage, M, Heiss, G, North, KE, Haiman, CA, Peters, U, Le Marchand, L, Kooperberg, C. Discovery, fine-mapping, and conditional analyses of genetic variants associated with C-reactive protein in multiethnic populations using the Metabochip in the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) study. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2018; 27 (16): 2940-2953. PubMed PMID:29878111 PubMed Central PMC6077792.