Darcy A. Freedman, PhD
firstname.lastname@example.org | 216.368.3060 | BioEnterprise Bldg. Rm 443
Ph.D. Community Research and Action, Vanderbilt University, 2008
Graduate Certificate Women’s and Gender Studies, Vanderbilt University, 2008
M.P.H., Behavioral Sciences, Emory University, Rollins School of Public Health, 2000
B.A., Zoology, Miami University, 1998
Reduce chronic disease trends and inequities through efforts to promote healthy community environments.
Substantive Topic Areas of Interest
- Food Access Interventions (e.g., farmers’ markets, community gardens, food policy)
- Community-engagement and Civic Participation
- Public Health Literacy
- Primary Prevention of Chronic Disease (e.g., Obesity, diabetes, cancer)
- Nutrition and Food Security
- Flocke, SA, Ohri-Vachispati, P, Shon, EJ, Trapl, ES, Borawski, E, Matlack, K, Freedman, DA. Developing multidimensional measures of healthy food access among low-income adults in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. Public Health Nutr 2017; : 1-10. PubMed PMID:28847323 .
- Lee, E, Dalton, J, Ngendahimana, D, Bebo, P, Davis, A, Remley, D, Smathers, C, Freedman, DA. Consensus modeling to develop the farmers' market readiness assessment and decision instrument. Transl Behav Med 2017; : . PubMed PMID:28730383 .
- Beets, MW, Weaver, RG, Turner-McGrievy, G, Huberty, J, Moore, JB, Ward, DS, Freedman, DA, Beighle, A. Two-Year Healthy Eating Outcomes: An RCT in Afterschool Programs. Am J Prev Med 2017; 53 (3): 316-326. PubMed PMID:28532659 PubMed Central PMC5562516.
- Sullivan, CM, Pencak, JA, Freedman, DA, Huml, AM, León, JB, Nemcek, J, Theurer, J, Sehgal, AR. Comparison of the Availability and Cost of Foods Compatible With a Renal Diet Versus an Unrestricted Diet Using the Nutrition Environment Measures Survey. J Ren Nutr 2017; 27 (3): 183-186. PubMed PMID:28283254 PubMed Central PMC5392449.
- Freedman, DA, Flocke, S, Shon, EJ, Matlack, K, Trapl, E, Ohri-Vachaspati, P, Osborne, A, Borawski, E. Farmers' Market Use Patterns Among Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Recipients With High Access to Farmers' Markets. J Nutr Educ Behav 2017; 49 (5): 397-404.e1. PubMed PMID:28274790 .
- Freedman, DA, Hunt, AR, Merritt, K, Shon, EJ, Pike, SN. Dissemination of Technology to Evaluate Healthy Food Incentive Programs. Am J Prev Med 2017; 52 (3S3): S309-S314. PubMed PMID:28215387 .
- Burke, MP, Jones, SJ, Frongillo, EA, Fram, MS, Blake, CE, Freedman, DA. Severity of household food insecurity and lifetime racial discrimination among African-American households in South Carolina. Ethn Health 2016; : 1-17. PubMed PMID:27905205 .
- Barnes, TL, Colabianchi, N, Freedman, DA, Bell, BA, Liese, AD. Do GIS-derived measures of fast food retailers convey perceived fast food opportunities? Implications for food environment assessment. Ann Epidemiol 2017; 27 (1): 27-34. PubMed PMID:27617371 .
- Brandt, HM, Freedman, DA, Friedman, DB, Choi, SK, Seel, JS, Guest, MA, Khang, L. Planting Healthy Roots: Using Documentary Film to Evaluate and Disseminate Community-Based Participatory Research. Fam Community Health ; 39 (4): 242-50. PubMed PMID:27536929 PubMed Central PMC4991561.
- Beets, MW, Turner-McGrievy, B, Weaver, RG, Huberty, J, Moore, JB, Ward, DS, Freedman, DA. Intervention leads to improvements in the nutrient profile of snacks served in afterschool programs: a group randomized controlled trial. Transl Behav Med 2016; 6 (3): 329-38. PubMed PMID:27528522 PubMed Central PMC4987599.