Jill S. Barnholtz-Sloan, PhD
Professor and Associate Director for Bioinformatics/Translational Informatics
firstname.lastname@example.org | 216.368.1506 | Wolstein Research Bldg. 2526
Sally S. Morley Designated Professor in Brain Tumor Research, Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences
Associate Director for Bioinformatics/Translational Informatics, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Director, Research Health Analytics and Informatics
University Hospitals Health System (UHHS)
Director, Cleveland Center for Health Outcomes Research (CCHOR)
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Ph.D., 2000, Biostatistics, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Public Health
M.S., 1995, Statistics, University of Texas at Austin
B.S., 1994, Mathematics, University of Florida
Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is multi-disciplinary researcher trained in biostatistics, population genetics and human genetics. Her role in team science has been essential for multiple, successful multi-disciplinary research projects. She is the PI of the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA), and she is the scientific PI of the Central Brain Tumor Registry for the United States (CBTRUS). She has extensive experience with multi-site, brain tumor, patient recruitment and bio specimen collection, storage, and clinical annotation.
She is the Associate Director for Bioinformatics at the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Associate Director for Translational Informatics for the Cleveland Institute of Computational Biology, both at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) School of Medicine, where she is responsible for managing bioinformatics analysis of high throughput “omics” data and implementing and maintaining a translational informatics solution for research.
In addition, she is the Director for Research Health Analytics and Informatics at University Hospitals Health System (UHHS), a teaching affiliate of CWRU School of Medicine. There she helps facilitate access to and analysis of UHHS data for population health. She also serves as Director of the Cleveland Center for Health Outcomes Research (CCHOR) with a primary objective of optimizing “big data” for clinical outcomes modeling, including individualized patient predictions that would drive operational and clinical decision making.
All of this work draws on her extensive experience in hypothesis development, study design and statistical analysis for studies of various phenotypes in humans and animals and analysis of all types of high throughput “omics” data and clinical outcomes.
American Association of Cancer Research
North American Association for Cancer Registries
Society for Neuro Oncology
- Grant, DJ, Manichaikul, A, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bondy, M, Cote, ML, Funkhouser, E, Moorman, PG, Peres, LC, Peters, ES, Schwartz, AG, Terry, PD, Wang, XQ, Keku, TO, Hoyo, C, Berchuck, A, Sandler, DP, Taylor, JA, O'Brien, KM, Velez Edwards, DR, Edwards, TL, Beeghly-Fadiel, A, Wentzensen, N, Pearce, CL, Wu, AH, Whittemore, AS, McGuire, V, Sieh, W, Rothstein, JH, Modugno, F, Ness, R, Moysich, K, Rossing, MA, Doherty, JA, Sellers, TA, Permuth-Way, JB, Monteiro, AN, Levine, DA, Setiawan, VW, Haiman, CA, LeMarchand, L, Wilkens, LR, Karlan, BY, Menon, U, Ramus, S, Gayther, S, Gentry-Maharaj, A, Terry, KL, Cramer, DW, Goode, EL, Larson, MC, Kaufmann, SH, Cannioto, R, Odunsi, K, Etter, JL, Huang, RY, Bernardini, MQ, Tone, AA, May, T, Goodman, MT, Thompson, PJ, Carney, ME, Tworoger, SS, Poole, EM, Lambrechts, D, Vergote, I, Vanderstichele, A, Van Nieuwenhuysen, E, Anton-Culver, H, Ziogas, A, Brenton, JD, Bjorge, L, Salvensen, HB, Kiemeney, LA, Massuger, LFAG, Pejovic, T, Bruegl, A, Moffitt, M, Cook, L, Le, ND, Brooks-Wilson, A, Kelemen, LE, Pharoah, PDP, Song, H, Campbell, I, Eccles, D, DeFazio, A, Kennedy, CJ, Schildkraut, JM. Evaluation of vitamin D biosynthesis and pathway target genes reveals UGT2A1/2 and EGFR polymorphisms associated with epithelial ovarian cancer in African American Women. Cancer Med 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31001917 .
- Wright, JM, Hodges, TR, Wright, CH, Gittleman, H, Zhou, X, Duncan, K, Kruchko, C, Sloan, A, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Racial/ethnic differences in survival for patients with gliosarcoma: an analysis of the National cancer database. J. Neurooncol. 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30989622 .
- Ostrom, QT, Egan, KM, Nabors, LB, Gerke, T, Thompson, RC, Olson, JJ, La Rocca, R, Chowdhary, S, Eckel-Passow, JE, Armstrong, G, Wiencke, JK, Bernstein, JL, Claus, EB, Il'yasova, D, Johansen, C, Lachance, DH, Lai, RK, Merrell, RT, Olson, SH, Sadetzki, S, Schildkraut, JM, Shete, S, Houlston, RS, Jenkins, RB, Wrensch, MR, Melin, B, Amos, CI, Huse, JT, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bondy, ML. Glioma risk associated with extent of estimated European genetic ancestry in African-Americans and Hispanics. Int. J. Cancer 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30963577 .
- Reid, BM, Permuth, JB, Chen, YA, Fridley, BL, Iversen, ES, Chen, Z, Jim, H, Vierkant, RA, Cunningham, JM, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Narod, S, Risch, H, Schildkraut, JM, Goode, EL, Monteiro, AN, Sellers, TA. Genome-wide analysis of common copy number variation and epithelial ovarian cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30948450 .
- Dandachi, D, Ostrom, QT, Chong, I, Serpa, JA, Giordano, TP, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Fowler, N, Colen, RR, Morón, FE. Primary central nervous system lymphoma in patients with and without HIV infection: a multicenter study and comparison with U.S national data. Cancer Causes Control 2019; 30 (5): 477-488. PubMed PMID:30888569 .
- Tish, S, Habboub, G, Jones, J, Ostrom, QT, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Recinos, PF, Kshettry, VR. The epidemiology of central and extraventricular neurocytoma in the United States between 2006 and 2014. J. Neurooncol. 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30859483 .
- Atkins, I, Kinnersley, B, Ostrom, QT, Labreche, K, Il'yasova, D, Armstrong, GN, Eckel-Passow, JE, Schoemaker, MJ, Nöthen, MM, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Swerdlow, AJ, Simon, M, Rajaraman, P, Chanock, SJ, Shildkraut, J, Bernstein, JL, Hoffmann, P, Jöckel, KH, Lai, RK, Claus, EB, Olson, SH, Johansen, C, Wrensch, MR, Melin, B, Jenkins, RB, Sanson, M, Bondy, ML, Houlston, RS. Transcriptome-Wide Association Study Identifies New Candidate Susceptibility Genes for Glioma. Cancer Res. 2019; 79 (8): 2065-2071. PubMed PMID:30709929 .
- Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Brain and central nervous system tumor statistics: access to accurate data for all countries is critical! Neuro-oncology 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30649531 PubMed Central PMC6380403.
- Walker, EV, Davis, FG, CBTR founding affiliates . Malignant primary brain and other central nervous system tumors diagnosed in Canada from 2009 to 2013. Neuro-oncology 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30649461 PubMed Central PMC6380406.
- Iorgulescu, JB, Torre, M, Harary, M, Smith, TR, Aizer, AA, Reardon, DA, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Perry, A. The Misclassification of Diffuse Gliomas: Rates and Outcomes. Clin. Cancer Res. 2019; 25 (8): 2656-2663. PubMed PMID:30635340 PubMed Central PMC6467794.