Jill S. Barnholtz-Sloan, PhD
Professor and Associate Director for Bioinformatics/Translational Informatics
email@example.com | 216.368.1506 | Wolstein Research Bldg. 2526
Sally S. Morley Designated Professor in Brain Tumor Research
Director, Cleveland Center for Health Outcomes Research,
Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences, School of Medicine
Associate Director for Translational Informatics,
Institute for Computational Biology, School of Medicine
Director, Research Health Analytics and Informatics, University Hospitals Health Systems
Ph.D., 2000, Biostatistics, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Public Health
M.S., 1995, Statistics, University of Texas at Austin
B.S., 1994, Mathematics, University of Florida
While my main research focuses on genetic/molecular epidemiology and “omics” of brain tumors, I am multi-disciplinary trained in biostatistics, population genetics and human genetics and therefore have the skills to make this research a success. My role in team science has been essential for multiple successful multi-disciplinary research projects. I am the PI of the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA). I am also the scientific PI of the Central Brain Tumor Registry for the United States (CBTRUS). Hence, I have extensive experience with multi-site, brain tumor, patient recruitment and bio specimen collection, storage, and clinical annotation. I am the Associate Director for Bioinformatics at the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Associate Director for Translational Informatics for the Institute of Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), where I am responsible for managing Bioinformatics analysis of high throughput “omics” data and implementing and maintaining a translational informatics solution for research. In addition, I am the Director for Research Health Analytics and Informatics at University Hospitals Health System (UHHS), where I help facilitate access to and analysis of UHHS data for population health. In addition, I am the Director of the Cleveland Center for Health Outcomes Research (CCHOR) with a primary objective of optimizing “big data” for clinical outcomes modeling, including individualized patient predictions that would drive operational and clinical decision making. I am the Director of the Case GI Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) Biostatistics and Informatics Core and the co-Director of the CWRU Barretts Esophagus Translational Research Network (BETRNet) Patient Registry-Virtual Biorepository Core. Hence, I have extensive experience in hypothesis development, study design and statistical analysis for studies of various phenotypes in humans and animals and analysis of all types of high throughput “omics” data and clinical outcomes.
American Association of Cancer Research
North American Association for Cancer Registries
Society for Neuro Oncology
- Mester, JL, Ghosh, R, Pesaran, T, Huether, R, Karam, R, Hruska, KS, Costa, HA, Lachlan, K, Ngeow, J, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Sesock, K, Hernandez, F, Zhang, L, Milko, L, Plon, SE, Hegde, M, Eng, C. Gene-specific criteria for PTEN variant curation: Recommendations from the ClinGen PTEN Expert Panel. Hum. Mutat. 2018; 39 (11): 1581-1592. PubMed PMID:30311380 .
- Anderson, RT, Peres, LC, Camacho, F, Bandera, EV, Funkhouser, E, Moorman, PG, Paddock, LE, Peters, ES, Abbott, SE, Alberg, AJ, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bondy, M, Cote, ML, Schwartz, AG, Terry, P, Schildkraut, JM. Individual, Social, and Societal Correlates of Health-Related Quality of Life Among African American Survivors of Ovarian Cancer: Results from the African American Cancer Epidemiology Study. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30307782 .
- Achey, RL, Gittleman, H, Schroer, J, Khanna, V, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Non-malignant and malignant meningioma incidence and survival in the elderly from 2005-2015 using the Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States. Neuro-oncology 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30295804 .
- Park, HK, Schildkraut, JM, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bondy, M, Crankshaw, S, Funkhouser, E, Moorman, PG, Peters, ES, Terry, P, Wang, F, Ruterbusch, JJ, Schwartz, AG, Cote, ML. Benign gynecologic conditions are associated with ovarian cancer risk in African-American women: a case-control study. Cancer Causes Control 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30269307 .
- Korkut, A, Zaidi, S, Kanchi, RS, Rao, S, Gough, NR, Schultz, A, Li, X, Lorenzi, PL, Berger, AC, Robertson, G, Kwong, LN, Datto, M, Roszik, J, Ling, S, Ravikumar, V, Manyam, G, Rao, A, Shelley, S, Liu, Y, Ju, Z, Hansel, D, de Velasco, G, Pennathur, A, Andersen, JB, O'Rourke, CJ, Ohshiro, K, Jogunoori, W, Nguyen, BN, Li, S, Osmanbeyoglu, HU, Ajani, JA, Mani, SA, Houseman, A, Wiznerowicz, M, Chen, J, Gu, S, Ma, W, Zhang, J, Tong, P, Cherniack, AD, Deng, C, Resar, L, Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network, Weinstein, JN, Mishra, L, Akbani, R. A Pan-Cancer Analysis Reveals High-Frequency Genetic Alterations in Mediators of Signaling by the TGF-β Superfamily. Cell Syst 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30268436 .
- Kallianpur, AR, Gittleman, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bush, WS, Heaton, R, Samuels, DC, Franklin, DR Jr, Rosario-Cookson, D, Clifford, DB, Collier, AC, Gelman, B, Marra, CM, McArthur, JC, McCutchan, JA, Morgello, S, Grant, I, Simpson, D, Connor, JR, Hulgan, T, CHARTER Study Group. Cerebrospinal Fluid Ceruloplasmin, Haptoglobin, and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Are Associated with Neurocognitive Impairment in Adults with HIV Infection. Mol. Neurobiol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30209774 .
- Ostrom, QT, Kinnersley, B, Armstrong, G, Rice, T, Chen, Y, Wiencke, JK, McCoy, LS, Hansen, HM, Amos, CI, Bernstein, JL, Claus, EB, Eckel-Passow, JE, Il'yasova, D, Johansen, C, Lachance, DH, Lai, RK, Merrell, RT, Olson, SH, Sadetzki, S, Schildkraut, JM, Shete, S, Rubin, JB, Andersson, U, Rajaraman, P, Chanock, SJ, Linet, MS, Wang, Z, Yeager, M, GliomaScan consortium, Houlston, RS, Jenkins, RB, Wrensch, MR, Melin, B, Bondy, ML, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Age-specific genome-wide association study in glioblastoma identifies increased proportion of 'lower grade glioma'-like features associated with younger age. Int. J. Cancer 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30152087 .
- Rice, SR, Bentzen, SM, Hanna, A, Choi, E, Boggs, DH, Kwok, Y, Hyder, J, Feigenberg, SJ, Regine, WF, Woodworth, GF, Eisenberg, HM, Yu, C, Biggins, TF, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Sperduto, PW, Weltman, E, Mehta, MP. Prognostic models for patients with brain metastases after stereotactic radiosurgery with or without whole brain radiotherapy: a validation study. J. Neurooncol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30132164 .
- Ostrom, QT, Coleman, W, Huang, W, Rubin, JB, Lathia, JD, Berens, ME, Speyer, G, Liao, P, Wrensch, MR, Eckel-Passow, JE, Armstrong, G, Rice, T, Wiencke, JK, McCoy, LS, Hansen, HM, Amos, CI, Bernstein, JL, Claus, EB, Houlston, RS, Il'yasova, D, Jenkins, RB, Johansen, C, Lachance, DH, Lai, RK, Merrell, RT, Olson, SH, Sadetzki, S, Schildkraut, JM, Shete, S, Andersson, U, Rajaraman, P, Chanock, SJ, Linet, MS, Wang, Z, Yeager, M, GliomaScan consortium, Melin, B, Bondy, ML, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Sex-specific gene and pathway modeling of inherited glioma risk. Neuro-oncology 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30124908 .
- Bailey, MH, Tokheim, C, Porta-Pardo, E, Sengupta, S, Bertrand, D, Weerasinghe, A, Colaprico, A, Wendl, MC, Kim, J, Reardon, B, Kwok-Shing Ng, P, Jeong, KJ, Cao, S, Wang, Z, Gao, J, Gao, Q, Wang, F, Liu, EM, Mularoni, L, Rubio-Perez, C, Nagarajan, N, Cortés-Ciriano, I, Zhou, DC, Liang, WW, Hess, JM, Yellapantula, VD, Tamborero, D, Gonzalez-Perez, A, Suphavilai, C, Ko, JY, Khurana, E, Park, PJ, Van Allen, EM, Liang, H, MC3 Working Group, Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network, Lawrence, MS, Godzik, A, Lopez-Bigas, N, Stuart, J, Wheeler, D, Getz, G, Chen, K, Lazar, AJ, Mills, GB, Karchin, R, Ding, L. Comprehensive Characterization of Cancer Driver Genes and Mutations. Cell 2018; 174 (4): 1034-1035. PubMed PMID:30096302 .