Jonathan L. Haines, PhD
Mary W. Sheldon MD Professor of Genomic Sciences and Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org | 216.368.2478 | Wolstein Research Bldg., Rm 2528
1979, BA Colby College (Biology)
1984, PhD University of Minnesota (Genetics & Cell Biology)
Dr. Haines is an internationally recognized researcher and educator with extensive experience in all aspects of genetic epidemiology, the study of the role of genes and the environment in human health and disease.
His research focus is big data analytics, with expertise in disorders of the eye and nervous system. Dr. Haines has located more than 20 causal and 200 associated genetic loci and has helped to define the genetic architecture of aging diseases, including macular degeneration and Alzheimer’s disease.
He emphasizes diversity in genetic sampling and a comprehensive view of data analytics. By applying sophisticated, computational methods to large data sets, he seeks to discover contributing factors to diseases and chronic conditions, with an aim of improving patient care and community health.
Dr. Haines founded and directs the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology, a collaboration between Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals Cleveland, and Cleveland Clinic. The Institute applies computational methods to large sets of patient data in order to improve the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease.
Dr. Haines serves on a number of professional advisory councils including the National Institute of Health’s National Advisory Council for Human Genome Research, the scientific advisory panel for the NIH’s National Human Genome Research Institute Genome Sequencing Program, the board of directors for the National Organization for Rare Disorders, and the executive committee of the NIH’s Alzheimer’s Disease Sequencing Project. He serves on the editorial boards of Neurogenetics, Human Molecular Genetics, and Nature Genomic Medicine.
Before coming to Case Western Reserve University, Dr. Haines was at Harvard Medical School and was professor of molecular physiology and biophysics at Vanderbilt School of Medicine, with joint appointments in several departments. At Vanderbilt he was chief of the Division of Human Genomics and founding director of the Center for Human Genetics Research.
- Iglesias, AI, Mishra, A, Vitart, V, Bykhovskaya, Y, Höhn, R, Springelkamp, H, Cuellar-Partida, G, Gharahkhani, P, Bailey, JNC, Willoughby, CE, Li, X, Yazar, S, Nag, A, Khawaja, AP, Polašek, O, Siscovick, D, Mitchell, P, Tham, YC, Haines, JL, Kearns, LS, Hayward, C, Shi, Y, van Leeuwen, EM, Taylor, KD, Blue Mountains Eye Study - GWAS group, Bonnemaijer, P, Rotter, JI, Martin, NG, Zeller, T, Mills, RA, Souzeau, E, Staffieri, SE, Jonas, JB, Schmidtmann, I, Boutin, T, Kang, JH, Lucas, SEM, Wong, TY, Beutel, ME, Wilson, JF, Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium 2 (WTCCC2), NEIGHBORHOOD consortium, Uitterlinden, AG, Vithana, EN, Foster, PJ, Hysi, PG, Hewitt, AW, Khor, CC, Pasquale, LR, Montgomery, GW, Klaver, CCW, Aung, T, Pfeiffer, N, Mackey, DA, Hammond, CJ, Cheng, CY, Craig, JE, Rabinowitz, YS, Wiggs, JL, Burdon, KP, van Duijn, CM, MacGregor, S. Author Correction: Cross-ancestry genome-wide association analysis of corneal thickness strengthens link between complex and Mendelian eye diseases. Nat Commun 2019; 10 (1): 155. PubMed PMID:30622277 PubMed Central PMC6325104.
- Beecham, GW, Vardarajan, B, Blue, E, Bush, W, Jaworski, J, Barral, S, DeStefano, A, Hamilton-Nelson, K, Kunkle, B, Martin, ER, Naj, A, Rajabli, F, Reitz, C, Thornton, T, van Duijn, C, Goate, A, Seshadri, S, Farrer, LA, Boerwinkle, E, Schellenberg, G, Haines, JL, Wijsman, E, Mayeux, R, Pericak-Vance, MA, Alzheimer's Disease Sequencing Project. Rare genetic variation implicated in non-Hispanic white families with Alzheimer disease. Neurol Genet 2018; 4 (6): e286. PubMed PMID:30569016 PubMed Central PMC6278241.
- Zhang, X, Zhu, C, Beecham, G, Vardarajan, BN, Ma, Y, Lancour, D, Farrell, JJ, Chung, J, Alzheimer's Disease Sequencing Project, Mayeux, R, Haines, JL, Schellenberg, GD, Pericak-Vance, MA, Lunetta, KL, Farrer, LA. A rare missense variant of CASP7 is associated with familial late-onset Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimers Dement 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30503768 .
- Rajabli, F, Feliciano, BE, Celis, K, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Whitehead, PL, Adams, LD, Bussies, PL, Manrique, CP, Rodriguez, A, Rodriguez, V, Starks, T, Byfield, GE, Sierra Lopez, CB, McCauley, JL, Acosta, H, Chinea, A, Kunkle, BW, Reitz, C, Farrer, LA, Schellenberg, GD, Vardarajan, BN, Vance, JM, Cuccaro, ML, Martin, ER, Haines, JL, Byrd, GS, Beecham, GW, Pericak-Vance, MA. Ancestral origin of ApoE ε4 Alzheimer disease risk in Puerto Rican and African American populations. PLoS Genet. 2018; 14 (12): e1007791. PubMed PMID:30517106 PubMed Central PMC6281216.
- Mitchell, SL, Uppal, K, Williamson, SM, Liu, K, Burgess, LG, Tran, V, Umfress, AC, Jarrell, KL, Cooke Bailey, JN, Agarwal, A, Pericak-Vance, M, Haines, JL, Scott, WK, Jones, DP, Brantley, MA Jr. The Carnitine Shuttle Pathway is Altered in Patients With Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2018; 59 (12): 4978-4985. PubMed PMID:30326066 PubMed Central PMC6188466.
- Gusareva, ES, Twizere, JC, Sleegers, K, Dourlen, P, Abisambra, JF, Meier, S, Cloyd, R, Weiss, B, Dermaut, B, Bessonov, K, van der Lee, SJ, Carrasquillo, MM, Katsumata, Y, Cherkaoui, M, Asselbergh, B, Ikram, MA, Mayeux, R, Farrer, LA, Haines, JL, Pericak-Vance, MA, Schellenberg, GD, Genetic and Environmental Risk in Alzheimer's Disease 1 consortium (GERAD1), Alzheimer's Disease Genetics Consortium (ADGC), European Alzheimer Disease Initiative Investigators (EADI1 Consortium), Sims, R, Williams, J, Amouyel, P, van Duijn, CM, Ertekin-Taner, N, Van Broeckhoven, C, Dequiedt, F, Fardo, DW, Lambert, JC, Van Steen, K. Male-specific epistasis between WWC1 and TLN2 genes is associated with Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol. Aging 2018; 72 : 188.e3-188.e12. PubMed PMID:30201328 .
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE, Marcora, E, Farrell, JJ, Zhao, Y, Qu, L, Ahmad, S, Amin, N, Amouyel, P, Beecham, GW, Below, JE, Campion, D, Charbonnier, C, Chung, J, Crane, PK, Cruchaga, C, Cupples, LA, Dartigues, JF, Debette, S, Deleuze, JF, Fulton, L, Gabriel, SB, Genin, E, Gibbs, RA, Goate, A, Grenier-Boley, B, Gupta, N, Haines, JL, Havulinna, AS, Helisalmi, S, Hiltunen, M, Howrigan, DP, Ikram, MA, Kaprio, J, Konrad, J, Kuzma, A, Lander, ES, Lathrop, M, Lehtimäki, T, Lin, H, Mattila, K, Mayeux, R, Muzny, DM, Nasser, W, Neale, B, Nho, K, Nicolas, G, Patel, D, Pericak-Vance, MA, Perola, M, Psaty, BM, Quenez, O, Rajabli, F, Redon, R, Reitz, C, Remes, AM, Salomaa, V, Sarnowski, C, Schmidt, H, Schmidt, M, Schmidt, R, Soininen, H, Thornton, TA, Tosto, G, Tzourio, C, van der Lee, SJ, van Duijn, CM, Vardarajan, B, Wang, W, Wijsman, E, Wilson, RK, Witten, D, Worley, KC, Zhang, X, Alzheimer’s Disease Sequencing Project, Bellenguez, C, Lambert, JC, Kurki, MI, Palotie, A, Daly, M, Boerwinkle, E, Lunetta, KL, Destefano, AL, Dupuis, J, Martin, ER, Schellenberg, GD, Seshadri, S, Naj, AC, Fornage, M, Farrer, LA. Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30108311 .
- Vardarajan, BN, Beecham, GW, Haines, JL. Pedigree Selection and Information Content. Curr Protoc Hum Genet 2018; 97 (1): e56. PubMed PMID:30040223 .
- Deming, Y, Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Kunkle, B, Gifford, KA, Bush, WS, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S, De Jager, PL, Kukull, W, Huentelman, M, Crane, PK, Resnick, SM, Keene, CD, Montine, TJ, Schellenberg, GD, Haines, JL, Zetterberg, H, Blennow, K, Larson, EB, Johnson, SC, Albert, M, Moghekar, A, Del Aguila, JL, Fernandez, MV, Budde, J, Hassenstab, J, Fagan, AM, Riemenschneider, M, Petersen, RC, Minthon, L, Chao, MJ, Van Deerlin, VM, Lee, VM, Shaw, LM, Trojanowski, JQ, Peskind, ER, Li, G, Davis, LK, Sealock, JM, Cox, NJ, Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI), Alzheimer Disease Genetics Consortium (ADGC), Goate, AM, Bennett, DA, Schneider, JA, Jefferson, AL, Cruchaga, C, Hohman, TJ. Sex-specific genetic predictors of Alzheimer's disease biomarkers. Acta Neuropathol. 2018; 136 (6): 857-872. PubMed PMID:29967939 PubMed Central PMC6280657.
- Fan, BJ, Chen, X, Sondhi, N, Sharmila, PF, Soumittra, N, Sripriya, S, Sacikala, S, Asokan, R, Friedman, DS, Pasquale, LR, Gao, XR, Vijaya, L, Cooke Bailey, J, Vitart, V, MacGregor, S, Hammond, CJ, Khor, CC, Haines, JL, George, R, Wiggs, JL, Mexican American Glaucoma Genetic Study; International Glaucoma Genetics Consortium; and NEIGHBORHOOD Consortium. Family-Based Genome-Wide Association Study of South Indian Pedigrees Supports WNT7B as a Central Corneal Thickness Locus. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2018; 59 (6): 2495-2502. PubMed PMID:29847655 PubMed Central PMC5961220.