Admission to graduate study at Case Western Reserve University is determined by the individual programs and departments, and is approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
The MPH Admissions Committee seeks candidates with strong communication and analytical skills with a passion for the mission of the public health profession. The committee reviews each candidate thoroughly, looking specifically for individuals who demonstrate the ability to succeed in the program and beyond. Applicants must have good academic records from fully accredited universities and colleges. Students admitted to the program should already hold undergraduate degrees.
The MPH Admissions Committee will be looking for evidence of scholarship, service and commitment to public health as evidenced by:
- The contents of the Personal Statement and writing quality
- Scholastic achievement at previous schools
- Academic ability demonstrated through standardized test scores
- Compelling letters of recommendation describing relevant work and service experience and commitment to public health
Important information for applicants:
- No application will be reviewed until complete. While the MPH Admissions Committee reviews applications on a rolling basis, the deadline for an application for fall semester is July 25th , and the deadline for an application for spring semester is December 1st.
*Please note: current CWRU undergraduate students applying for the Integrated Graduate Studies (IGS) BA/MPH program may be subjected to earlier application deadlines. Please contact the MPH program or the Office of Undergraduate Studies for details on IGS application requirements.
- Prospective dual degree students are expected to submit separate applications and gain admission to the MPH Program as well as the partner program of their choice. Dual degree students are independently reviewed by the MPH Admissions Committee and the partner program admissions committee. Admission to each program is pursued separately and independently.
- International students must apply by July 1st for the fall semester and by November 1st for the spring semester.
The process for applying for admission to the MPH program is as follows:
1) Complete and submit the online application through Hobsons. All applications must be submitted online. These items are included when you submit your online application.
- The main application form: Full instructions are included within the online application.
- Personal Statement/Statement of Objectives: Please type your statement of objectives as a separate document, including your name and "Personal Statement" as the heading. The statement should be one or two pages and should include your purpose in undertaking graduate work, an explanation of your interest in public health, and your professional goals.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation must be submitted from those individuals sufficiently familiar with you, and who can assess your academic preparation, abilities and accomplishments. Letters should be from your most recent instructors in your proposed field of study. If you have been out of school for several years, one letter may be from your employer, supervisor or other person familiar with your most recent activities. The individuals who write your letters will submit them online through the application system. The letters do not need to be complete at the time that you submit your application, but must be submitted prior to the application deadline.
- Résumé/CV: Please provide a résumé or CV to provide the admission committee with details about your background and experience. Depending on your level of academic achievement, or career experience, a CV may be preferred.
- Application Fee: A nonrefundable application fee of $50 is required for each application submitted.
- Unofficial transcripts
- Writing sample (optional)
2) Submit score reports for an approved standardized test. The institutional code for Case Western Reserve University is 1105. The MPH program prefers GRE scores, but will accept MCAT, GMAT, or LSAT scores for dual degree applicants. IGS-MPH applicants are not required to take the GRE. The GRE is valid for five years after the test date.
- GRE tests that have been reported to CWRU using our institutional code can be retrieved by our admissions staff. No further action is needed.
- For any other test, send them using the address below.
- International students whose first language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency using one of the following:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 577 if paper-based, or 90 if Internet-based.
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also accepted. The minimum acceptable score is 7.0.
- The minimum acceptable score for Pearson Test of English (PTE-Academic) is 61.
3) Send your official academic transcripts (optional during admissions process, required upon acceptance). The MPH program no longer requires official transcripts to be sent directly to the program. You are required to identify all post-secondary educational institutions you have attended (including transfer credits and study abroad courses) on your application form. Upon admission to the University, you will need to send official transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies (more information here). Admission to the MPH program is conditional on final certification of degrees awarded.
Note to International Students: Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified translations in English.
International applicants cannot be admitted to full standing without receipt of an acceptable official TOEFL score. The TOEFL is valid for two years after the test date. The MPH Admissions Committee will also accept results from the IELTS test in lieu of the TOEFL. International applicants can have the TOEFL requirement waived if:
- The applicant has earned a Bachelor’s Degree, or higher, at a foreign institution where the medium of instruction is English (proof required).
- The applicant has earned a Bachelor’s Degree, or higher, in the U.S.
- The applicant has taken six semester hours of sophomore level English literature at a U.S. College or University.
Please send transcripts to:
Case Western Reserve University
School of Graduate Studies
Tomlinson Rm 203
10900 Euclid Ave
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
Please send test score reports to:
Master of Public Health Program
Case Western Reserve University
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106-4945
Any items sent to other departments at CWRU will not be forwarded to the MPH program.
For additional information about the admissions process, or if you have any questions, please contact: