Siran M. Koroukian, PhD
firstname.lastname@example.org | 216.368.5816 | School of Medicine, Wood Bldg. WG-49
2000-2002: National Institutes of Health/ National Cancer Institute Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences, Case Western Reserve University (F32 CA84621)
1999: PhD, Health Services Research, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio. Recipient of AHCPR Training Grant (T32 HS00059)
1987: MHA, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 1986 MS Nursing, Obstetrical Care (Maitrise en Sciences Infirmieres), Universite St. Joseph, Beirut, Lebanon
1982: BS Nursing (Licence en Soins Infirmiers), Universite St. Joseph, Beirut, Lebanon
Clinical Quality Award in the area of Integrated Care Research, Ohio Department of Mental Health, 2011
Nominated for the John S. Diekhoff Graduate Student Mentoring Award, 2011
Nominated for Professor-of-the-Year Award, 2006, 2007, 2008
National Institute on Aging Institute on Aging Research (Summer 2005)
Academic Career Development Award, National Cancer Institute (K07 CA96705)
Post Doctoral fellowship with the National Instiutes of Health (F32 CA84621)
Recipient, training grant from AHCPR (T32 HS00059)
The Dekker Foundation Outstanding Student Award, April, 1999
Sloan Program International Prize, 1986-1987
2010: Director, Population and Health Outcomes Research Core, Clinical & Translational Science Collaborative, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University
2008: Associate Professor, Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University
2007-2008: Associate Editor, Health Services Research and Policy, J Immigrant and Minority Health
2004 – Present: Associate Member, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center
2003 – 2008: Assistant Professor, Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences, Case Western Reserve University
2001 – 2003: Senior Instructor, Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences, Case Western Reserve University
June 2000 – May 2002: National Cancer Institute (NCI) Postdoctoral Fellow
March 2000 – 2002: Technical Advisor to the American University of Armenia (AUA)
March 1995 through June 1995 — Consultant to the Office of Medicaid Policy, Ohio Department of Human Services, Columbus, Ohio
1989-1994 — Social Program Administrator, Office of Medicaid Policy, Ohio Department of Human Services, Columbus, Ohio
1987-1989 — Consultant, Corporate Health Strategies, Inc., Westport, Connecticut
Multimorbidity in older cancer patients
Methodological issues in the use of large databases in health services research
Medicare and Medicaid programs
Cancer-related health services research
- Koroukian, SM, Schiltz, NK, Warner, DF, Stange, KC, Smyth, KA. Increasing Burden of Complex Multimorbidity Across Gradients of Cognitive Impairment. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2017; 32 (7): 408-417. PubMed PMID:28871795 .
- Koroukian, SM, Bakaki, PM, Htoo, PT, Han, X, Schluchter, M, Owusu, C, Cooper, GS, Rose, J, Flocke, SA. The Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, Medicaid, and breast cancer outcomes among Ohio's underserved women. Cancer 2017; 123 (16): 3097-3106. PubMed PMID:28542870 .
- Cooper, GS, Kou, TD, Dor, A, Koroukian, SM, Schluchter, MD. Cancer preventive services, socioeconomic status, and the Affordable Care Act. Cancer 2017; 123 (9): 1585-1589. PubMed PMID:28067955 PubMed Central PMC5400670.
- Koroukian, SM, Schiltz, NK, Warner, DF, Given, CW, Schluchter, M, Owusu, C, Berger, NA. Social determinants, multimorbidity, and patterns of end-of-life care in older adults dying from cancer. J Geriatr Oncol 2017; 8 (2): 117-124. PubMed PMID:28029586 PubMed Central PMC5373955.
- Crawshaw, BP, Keller, DS, Brady, JT, Augestad, KM, Schiltz, NK, Koroukian, SM, Navale, SM, Steele, SR, Delaney, CP. The HARM score for gastrointestinal surgery: Application and validation of a novel, reliable and simple tool to measure surgical quality and outcomes. Am. J. Surg. 2017; 213 (3): 575-578. PubMed PMID:27842731 .
- Schiltz, NK, Warner, DF, Sun, J, Bakaki, PM, Dor, A, Given, CW, Stange, KC, Koroukian, SM. Identifying Specific Combinations of Multimorbidity that Contribute to Health Care Resource Utilization: An Analytic Approach. Med Care 2017; 55 (3): 276-284. PubMed PMID:27753745 PubMed Central PMC5309172.
- Zein, JG, Udeh, BL, Teague, WG, Koroukian, SM, Schlitz, NK, Bleecker, ER, Busse, WB, Calhoun, WJ, Castro, M, Comhair, SA, Fitzpatrick, AM, Israel, E, Wenzel, SE, Holguin, F, Gaston, BM, Erzurum, SC, Severe Asthma Research Program. Impact of Age and Sex on Outcomes and Hospital Cost of Acute Asthma in the United States, 2011-2012. PLoS ONE 2016; 11 (6): e0157301. PubMed PMID:27294365 PubMed Central PMC4905648.
- Koroukian, SM, Schiltz, N, Warner, DF, Sun, J, Bakaki, PM, Smyth, KA, Stange, KC, Given, CW. Combinations of Chronic Conditions, Functional Limitations, and Geriatric Syndromes that Predict Health Outcomes. J Gen Intern Med 2016; 31 (6): 630-7. PubMed PMID:26902246 PubMed Central PMC4870414.
- Sanses, TV, Schiltz, NK, Couri, BM, Mahajan, ST, Richter, HE, Warner, DF, Guralnik, J, Koroukian, SM. Functional status in older women diagnosed with pelvic organ prolapse. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2016; 214 (5): 613.e1-7. PubMed PMID:26704893 PubMed Central PMC4851569.
- Schiltz, NK, Kaiboriboon, K, Koroukian, SM, Singer, ME, Love, TE. Long-term reduction of health care costs and utilization after epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia 2016; 57 (2): 316-24. PubMed PMID:26693701 PubMed Central PMC4744096.